Middleton Effigy

The 14th Century Middleton Effigy is of a local knight and landowner, Sir Peter de Middleton, descended from William the Conqueror’s Norman barons, who died in 1336.

The Middletons held extensive lands in this part of the West Yorkshire for many centuries, and held administrative, judicial and military offices for the King, giving them significant influence over the lives of local people, including the congregation of the church.