Roman Stones

After the Roman fort was abandoned, some of the stone was reused to build the church.

Three stones now under the tower were extracted from the structure in 1919 and are clearly Roman.

But the cuts and carvings on them show they were probably re-used as window lintels in an early Anglo-Saxon church building, and then recycled a second time when the present church tower was built.