Two Stone Pillars

When the nave was enlarged in the 1860s, two new pillars were added, both with carvings of plants and flowers.

On the North Aisle, a rose, a shamrock, a thistle and a daffodil, emblems of Queen Victoria’s United Kingdom.

Such was the loss of life from every village and town in the land. (Those local men who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-45 are specifically remembered in the side-chapel, across the transept, which was furnished as a Memorial to them in 1946

On the opposite pillar in the South Aisle, are wheat, grapes, lilies, and acorns, the symbols for bread, wine, spiritual purity and strength, emblems of the Kingdom of God..